Ready to start your year with nude men's yoga?

Our first class of the new year is this Sunday, 4 January 2015 @ 10.00 until noon, at our regular venue in the heart of Cape Town.

For further information contact us on capemensyoga AT gmail.com




Each year people make new year's resolutions. I find them to be important opportunities to focus myself on what matters and to build that into my schedule, my plans and my consciousness. Sometimes those small and incremental changes in our habits and practices bring about lifelong transformations.

Today I had some errands to run. I stopped off at a local deli where they have excellent sour dough bread with rye. I saw a little car park with a white haired lady driving. Something familiar resonated and I recognised it was my very first teacher who introduced me to the mind / body relationship. She taught Alexander technique from her home in Claremont.

That practice of mindfulness of body and being present unleashed a great energy and awakening in me, which eventually flourished into my spiritual practice, meditation practice and yoga. I was initially skeptical of anything that seemed new age or spiritual. I was far too intelligent and rational for that. Or so I thought. My teacher helped me rediscover my body and realise how often my mind was whirring rather than being present. Much of my frustration with life, irritation with work, and general exhaustion came not for the body but from having a mind out of control, unrecognisable to the owner.

Seeing my old teachers reminded me that our spiritual and mindfulness practices are never really for ourselves; they are great gifts which are meant to be freely shared with others. As I was taught by different people, meditators, shaman, monks, lay yoginis and yogis, people of different faiths, beliefs and practices - so my life became richer, happier and more gracious. I've always believed that by giving away what we learn, we come to understand it more deeply, and there is a synergistic energy between teacher and learner. The transmission is part of the mindfulness. Today I honour all my teachers, and mostly this first teacher for her kindness, honesty and patience. She was the first person to give me an inkling to power of the mind and its relationship with the body - both in the direct sense of the body / mind cooperation, but also that we are more than the body and that it is possible to put the body down and allow our mind and energy to flow more broadly.

Overtime, I met other teachers. I learned how to meditate by both focussing my mind and learning to let go of the business and habitual patterns. I learned to move with my body, to allow it to open up to new exeperiences, strength, flow, flexibility. I both found myself in my practices and discovered the world - for in the end we are one and the same. Matter and energy are neither created nor destroyed - as Einstein taught us.

This year, if you have been promising yourself more 'me' time, time invested in your mental and physical health, and if you'd like to be part of a community of practice - we warmly welcome you to join the Cape Men's Yoga group. Awaken yourself to your body and mind, and bring each foot forward along a path that leads you to the place you most need to discover.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Special Easter Sunday class - Cape Men's Yoga & Meditation

Cape Men's Yoga & meditation - Sunday 1 May 2016

Cape Men's Yoga & Meditation - special Yin Yoga class - 10 July 2016